You may have thought to yourself before, “Gosh, I wish I could do something useful with all this knowledge I have about …” your favorite book, TV show, movie, or pop star. You may have even been joking a little. But it turns out you really can do something with it! For a writing career, it’s often best to have an area of expertise … and here you’ve got one of those, ready-made!
That’s why I created a new Skillshare class, Turning Your Fandom Into a Writing Career.
Fandom is more prevalent than ever, and fandoms are more voracious than ever! There’s a real marketplace for this kind of knowledge. And it’s truly not that crazy to think that this can happen for you. You could become a recognized expert in the object of your fandom — and even turn it into a paid writing career by blogging, writing for publication, or publishing books. Many people have done this, including me. In this course, I will give you a step-by-step plan to do it, from choosing a fandom to focus on to finding the right platform and, finally, writing your first piece.
In this class, we’ll cover six major topics before diving into the final project:
- Collecting Your Fandoms and Choosing One
- Researching the Landscape: How to Distinguish Yourself
- Forms of Fandom Expression: Blogging, Writing for Publication, Social Media, Podcasts, Books
- Choosing Your Line of Attack: Which Expression is Right for You?
- Mixing it Up in Stan Culture
- Becoming a Professional Fan
Hope you’ll join me! It’ll be a lot of fun.